Guidance on responsible investment
The IAWG supports responsible agricultural investment through the provision of practical guidance. This includes supporting the development and dissemination of international guidance instruments and developing practical tools such as knowledge notes to support their application by a wide range of stakeholders.
International instruments to which the IAWG has contributed
Principles for Responsible Investment in Agriculture and Food Systems (CFS-RAI)
The CFS-RAI principles are the first global guidance instrument on responsible agricultural investment that was developed by governments, private companies and civil society organizations through an inclusive multi-stakeholder process. The principles were endorsed by the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) in 2014. The IAWG actively supported and contributed to this consultation process. The CFS-RAI take into account the Principles for Responsible Agricultural Investment that respects rights, livelihoods and resources (PRAI, see information below).
OECD-FAO Guidance for Responsible Agricultural Supply Chains
OECD and FAO jointly developed the OECD-FAO Guidance for Responsible Agricultural Supply Chains to help enterprises observe standards of responsible business conduct, including the CFS-RAI principles. Members of the IAWG provided technical advice during the development process.
Principles for Responsible Agricultural Investment that respects rights, livelihoods and resources (PRAI)
The PRAI were conceived by the IAWG in 2009 as a contribution to an ongoing dialogue. The IAWG held several consultations on the PRAI until 2011, when the CFS took the lead role in organizing consultations on responsible investment principles. These resulted in the development of the CFS-RAI.
Other Selected internationally recognized principles and Guidelines for responsible agricultural investment
- World Bank Environmental and Social Framework – Setting Environmental and Social Standards for Investment Project Financing
- International Finance Corporation Environmental and Social Performance Standards and Guidance Notes
- FAO Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests in the context of national food security
- UN Global Compact Food and Agriculture Business Principles (UN FABs)
- USAID Operational Guidelines for Responsible Land-Based Investment
- Respecting Land and Forest Rights—a Guide for Companies